BMX Assembling and Maintenance
It is not easy to build your own BMX bike. Various parts might not fit together and if you assemble it wrong, you can easily destroy the parts. This guide will help you with the basics of assembling and maintaining a BMX bike.
A BMX Bike Consist Of
|1x Frame||Includes brake connectors unless otherwise noted|
|1x Bar||Fits on almost all forks unless otherwise noted|
|1x Stem||There are two types - top load and front load|
|1x Headset||the most common are integrated and non-integrated|
|1x Headset spacer||A headset spacer can adjust the height of the bar|
|1x Fork||The fork should fit with your wheel size|
|1x Set grips||Grips fit on all bars unless otherwise noted|
|1x Set pedals||Pedals are offered in plastic, steel or aluminum|
|2x Wheels||There is a difference between the front and rear wheel|
|2x Tires||Remember that tires are sold piecewise|
|2x Tubes||Our tubes fit all tire widths unless otherwise noted|
|1x Crank set||The size of a crank axle can vary between 19, 22 and 24 mm.|
|1x Crank box||Remember to buy a crank box fitting the right axle size.|
|1x Sprocket||Comes with or without a bolt mounting|
|1x Chain||Remember to adjust the length before mounting it|
|1x Seat||Many systems exist, known are pivotal and tripod.|
|1x Seat post||Remember to buy a seat post fitting your seat|
The various parts are called
Advice and recommendations from SkatePro
- Get an adult to help you with the assembly
- Use proper tools (see further down what is needed)
- Expect to use at least 1 hour for the assembly (if you have not tried it before)
- If you choose lightweight parts, then bear in mind, that they are usually more easily broken than heavy parts.
- When you receive the package, check if you have everything and the parts fit together before you start to assemble. (You can only return the new/unassembled parts).
- Always tighten all screws and nuts before biking and maintain the bike as described in the manual. Replace defective components & spare parts.
- Avoid water, sand, moist areas.
Which tools should I use to assemble my BMX bike?
This is only relevant for assembling complete BMX bikes.
Here is a list of the needed tools to assemble your BMX (it is not included when purchasing a BMX bike at SkatePro):
|1x 5 mm Allen key|
|1x 6 mm Allen key|
|1x 15 mm spanner|
|1x 17 mm or 19 mm spanner|
|1x Bike air pump|
|1x Side cutter or scissor|
Find our selection of BMX tools here.
Assembling a partly assembled BMX bike
When you receive your BMX bike partly assembled, in most cases, you will have to assemble the following parts: bar, front wheel, seat and pedals.
A guide on how to mount the parts will usually follow with the bike.
Remember to pump the tires on the bike before using it.